Aundeck Omni Kaning Community Profile

Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation is a non-profit organization with the mandate of providing services in the development and management of businesses, community and economic development initiatives, human resource development and social development of which it serves.

Geographic Location & Unique Features

Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation is situated on the North Shore of Manitoulin Island. It is located on Highway 540, five kilometres west of Little Current in the township of Howland, Manitoulin District. It is also located 57 kilometres southwest of Espanola and 154 kilometres west of Sudbury, south of Highway 17 (map).

The total land mass consists of 897ha (2, 214acres) of which 59% (526 ha) is managed by the Band Council and the remaining 41% (371 ha) is held by certificate of possession. Since 1986 the Band purchased 269ha (664acres) of farmland adjacent to the community, which is reflected in the above figures.

The total band membership consists of 700 people. The number of people residing in the community is 375 of which 50% are 25 years of age and younger, 46% are between the ages of 26-65 and the remaining 4% are elders.

Approximately 42% of the on-reserve population work full time and 20% are part time. During the summer season 15 to 20 high school and post secondary students are placed in summer jobs. There is a number of people who participate in more than one employment activity. These activities include small businesses, housing renovations, contracts, surveying, catering, arts & crafts.

Economic Development Initiatives

The Band's long term plan for the community includes cemetery expansion, developing an aggregate site, upgrading sewage disposal and septic systems, roads and storm drainage, solid waste disposal, land use and subdivision expansion, housing development, land use and construction of a new Elders Drop in Centre, enhancement of public walkways, fitness and hiking trails, playgrounds, buildings and public access roads. The band has and will continue to form partnerships with other communities to the goal of sharing information, ideas, human resources and funding.

Overall the bands objective is to provide a better living environment for the community through the implementation of the above activities. The band is fully committed to the protection of the environment and addresses all environmental issues prior to commencement of any projects.

The Band Council promotes the integration of band programs, band committees, community groups, sports and fitness groups to work together for the betterment of the community in all areas of human resource development, community development, tourism development, recreational development, health and social services development.

Community Services Personnel

The band has an excellent working relationship within its administration programs and services personnel. Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation is also recognized by outside government ministries and organizations in regards to community progression and management capabilities.